Friday 13 July 2012

Summer Stock Checking

So the summer is here (by date anyway; the weather it would seem has different ideas about what constitutes summer!) so the Media Loans department in which I work is dead as the proverbial murder victim... This would be ideal - getting to just sit back and relax while browsing Gizmodo, Macrumors and the source of all worldly information Facebook - however we have summer jobs to do instead.

While doing these lists of work - stock checking, Edit Suite installs, cleaning and general drudgery - we also have the opportunity to check the kit is all working properly so today have got to spend a bit of time with the Steadicam.  I've only used it once before in my life, so was keen to take the opportunity to get better acquainted with it...  which I now am.  And the chance to use it again is one which I will make me jump to attention at any time - and run like the wind in the opposite direction.  I am a massive fan of the kit when used properly, and by someone competent at it, however this person is not me...

It's a bit of kit that requires finesse, dexterity and grace; three things which I am sadly lacking.  Not to mention a level of fitness and core strength which require a bit more work... It's a heavy beast of kit and I have the upmost respect for anyone who can use it!  I would also recommend that anyone who wants to use it should be strong, dextrous, and physically very fit; there's a reason most people who can use it well are strong and sinuous!

Antonis is really good at it (as is Andrzej), and it's disgusting seeing how comfortably he wields it around!








No comments:

Post a Comment